By Kathleen Nolan (eds.)
Never ahead of have the ladies of the Capetian royal dynasty in France been the topic of a research of their personal correct. the hot learn in Capetian ladies demanding situations outdated paradigms in regards to the constrained roles of royal girls, uncovering their impression in social, non secular, cultural or even political spheres. the students within the quantity examine medieval chroniclers' responses to the self sustaining activities of royal ladies in addition to smooth historians' use of them as autos for developing the earlier. The essays additionally delineate the production of reginal identification via cultural practices similar to spiritual patronage and the commissioning of manuscripts, tomb sculpture, and private seals.
Read or Download Capetian Women PDF
Best historiography books
This is often the 1st entire examine of what continues to be of the writings of Aristotle's pupil Eudemus of Rhodes at the historical past of the precise sciences. those fragments are an important to our knowing of the content material, shape, and aim of the Peripatetic historiography of technological know-how. the 1st a part of the booklet provides an research of these traits in Presocratic, Sophistic and Platonic proposal that contributed to the advance of the background of technological know-how.
A huge standpoint on historic idea and writing via one of many world's most excellent historiographers.
A few humans make photograph albums, acquire antiques, or stopover at ancient battlefields. Others retain diaries, plan annual kin gatherings, or sew jointly patchwork quilts in a practice realized from grandparents. every one folks has methods of communing with the previous, and our purposes for doing so are as various as our thoughts.
During this booklet, the celebrated historian Carl Schorske--author of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Fin-de-Siécle Vienna--draws jointly a chain of essays that exhibit the altering position of historical past in nineteenth-and twentieth-century cultures. In so much highbrow and creative fields, Schorske argues, twentieth-century Europeans and americans have come to do their considering with no heritage.
- Toward Spatial Humanities: Historical GIS and Spatial History (The Spatial Humanities)
- The Quest for the Lost Nation: Writing History in Germany and Japan in the American Century (California World History Library)
- From Napoleon to Stalin and Other Essays
- Oxford History of Historical Writing, Volume 1: Beginnings to AD 600
- Rethinking Home: A Case for Writing Local History
Extra resources for Capetian Women
Oxford: The Clarendon Press, 1992–95), 2:225–26. 11. Robert Henri Bautier, “Paris au temps d’Abelard,” in Abélard et son temps: Actes du Colloque International organise à l’occasion du 9e centenaire de la naissance de Pierre Abélard (l4–19 Mai 1979) (Paris: Les Belles Lettres, 1981), pp. 21–77 [58–69]. 12. Facinger, “Medieval Queenship,” p. 29. 13. See Achille Luchaire, Histoires des institutions monarchiques de la France sous les premiers Capétiens (987–1180) (Paris: Imprimerie nationale, 1891; repr.
208. 38. Letters of Fulbert, p. 207. That other bishops supported Constance is no surprise. , Stafford, “Emma,” p. 19). , Count Odo shifted from one side to the other until he was rewarded for staying with one. , Bak, “Queens as Scapegoats,” p. 230. 39. Letters of Fulbert, p. 206. 40. Pfister, Études, p. 76. Born ca. 1011, young Robert would have been about fourteen at this time. Odo received no lands after the king’s death and later became involved in an attempt, supported by Count Odo, to overthrow King Henry (Lewis, Sang royal, p.
The outraged Adelaide, in consultation with her ladies, arranged to have William brought into her garden where she pushed him deep into a cave. Inside the cave was W 28 LOIS L. HUNEYCUTT a fierce and hungry lion that was undoubtedly expected to put a quick end to the impudent knight. But William bravely thrust his fist directly into the lion’s mouth and down its throat, managing to kill the beast and extract its tongue with his bare hands. 1 The events in the story are, of course, not even close to historically accurate.